Friday, November 21, 2008

Back On Track

Things are getting back on course, albeit still a bit chaotically.

The two big items to report are: I have a new job; and I met with the doctor about hormone therapy. I'll tackle them in that order.


The new job is a temporary contract that runs through the end of February. However the pay is pretty close to what I was making before. It comes with benefits (albeit expensive and not as extensive as they were at my previous job). Therapy won't be covered, but medical will. And I can ride that situation alright through February if I must.


Also I became engaged with some good long-term employment possibilities while I was searching. Each of them seem like a possible long-term fit for me. Since they didn't have anything available right this moment, I took this other contract. I'm going to try to remain on their radar to see if I can align things to join one of them right after this contract ends. Or, if not, there's a possibility I could stay on with a contract extension and possibly a pay increase at the current place. All in all a much more relieved situation.


Which brings me to the next item. I met with the doctor about hormones last week. She had to take some blood to run some tests, so the REAL first appointment where I might be prescribed hormones in next Monday. She wants to start with only spironolactone and level that up safely before progressing to estrogen. Sounds sensible and safe to me. And a bit faster than I expected, as I didn't expect I could start on hormones at all before meeting with an endocrinologist, and I figured that would be a 2-3 month wait to get that appointment after getting a good health bill from this doctor.


Anyway, something about all this seems to have the spouse going backward and forward over her level of acceptance of the whole thing. She seems to have made some kind of unspoken resolution over the past week to try to stay close and be supportive to a level she hasn't shown any serious interest in before. I don't exactly know what triggered it. Maybe she's just finding her own inner milestones much like I am given enough time to reflect on the situation.


She did annoy me earlier in the week by poo-pooing my plan to come out to my sister. My sister is going through some family medical problems of her own at the moment, and initially I agreed to hold off for that reason. But the big crisis for her has fallen back into endless testing mode which, while scary in its own way, isn't quite the same, and is something my sister has lived with pretty much all of her life. Anyway, there isn't anyone else in my family or among my friends I'm close enough to anymore to start with. So either I tell my sister or I tell no one.


At lease now that the unemployment situation is over we can finally bring that up to open up some communication with the family. We were keeping that news private until we had it resolved. Our family members are more gossipy and nosy than helpful in such situations, and we really didn't need that. The funny thing is, none of them realize that isn't the BIG news about what's going on in our lives lately. Mwah-hah-hah!

No comments: